Wednesday, 25 May, 2011
Wednesday, 31 March, 2010
As my blog name suggests, I luuurrrvvveeee lipsticks!!! And have too many to use up. This is the one item of makeup that I have been purchasing for years (all the other items are more recent acquisitions). Anyway, I have learnt a lot through trial and error (all the error lipsticks go to my mom :D :D ) .
Over the years, after several slip-ups, I have learnt a lot about what lipsticks looks good on me and what don't. Here is some of what I have learnt:
1) Mauvish lipsticks DO NOT looks good on me.
I have purchased a couple of pinkish-mauvish lipsticks over the years, but I avoid them now. That's becoz my complexion is mid-olive with a serious yellow undertone. Even thought the yellowness is usually camouflaged by a tan, mauvish lipsticks bring out the sallowness of my skin tone and I look awful.
2) I have always been drawn to light brownish-pinkish lipsticks, nude browns or super pinky, very cool-tones pinks but they don't work for me for a few reasons:
a) light brownish-pinkish ones don't show on my pigmented lips.
b) nude ones make me look zombi-ish coz they seem to neutralise the sallowness in my skin tone and make me seem colourless or even greyish!!!.
c) super pinky pinks are too cool-toned for my warm complexion.
3) I have recently been really drawn to peach/ orange-toned colours, but for some reason, they also seem to make me look yellow, or worse still, make my teeth look yellow ( WHY? WHY? WHY?).
So after many a slips between the lip and the um...lipstick, here's what I've learnt to do:
1) I now try to look for lipsticks that are orangy-brown or orangy-pink. The blend of the colours seem to balance each shade and make them wearable for me.
2) I also like to layer a too-warm toned lipstick with a cool-toned gloss to achieve some lip-smacking balance.
3) I will only wear nude colours, when my eyes are strong and bold, coz that is sure to balance the non-existant lips and make me look alive (It's alive!!!). For that I first need to learn how to use eye shadows.
Still experimenting these days, but I no longer feel awful about buying a shade and find out at home that it doesn't look good on me. I now buy better, but even with the occasional slip-ups I think, 'I can make this work.'
Sunday, 28 March, 2010
- I live in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, which is known to be not only super sunny & hot but also freakishly humid and dusty.
- I have a medium olive skin tone, with a serious yellow undertone. Parts of my skin can look very sallow at times.
- I tan VERY easily. My outer forearms, hands, face, back-of-neck and feet are tanned and darker than my neck and the rest of my body. When I say medium olive, that is what my tanned skin tone is. My natural skin tone is very light olive.
- I have very sensitive skin, which is easily prone to irritations, pimples, and skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema. A couple of years ago, these conditions would only flare up during winters (not that Chennai winters actually qualify as that), but these days it flares up whenever I'm stressed.
- The condition of my skin has changed quite a bit, especially over the past few years. Several years ago, I would have considered my skin oily, but now I would call it combination sensitive. Combination means - Face: In summers my T-zone is oily, while my O-zone can be dry or normal; in winters my O-zone is dry, while my T-zone can be oily or normal. My body: It's usually super dry in winters and dry but clammy (yuck!) in summers.
Thursday, 25 March, 2010
- Lakme Enrich Classics - Barely There 652
- Lakme Enrich Classics - Cherry 352
- Lakme Aquashine Lipcolour - Fig
- Faces Velvet Lipstick - 183
- Colorbar - Mocha 020
- Oriflame Visions - Pinkberry 5077
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick Frost - Brown Sugar 118
- Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick Creme - Sandalwood 301
- Cover Girl Continuous Color - Rum Raisin 810
- Elle 18 Dew Lips - Strawberry Falls 003
- Elle 18 Dew Lips - Forest Fresh 021
- Elle 18 Dew Lips - Berry Brook 012
- Maybelline - Wine on Ice
- Maybelline - Antique Rouge 486
- Maybelline Water Shine - Rose Jam 10
- Maybelline Moisture Extreme - Chestnut 917
- Maybelline Moisture Extreme - Ruby Lustre 931
- Maybelline Moisture Extreme - Chocolate Temptation 781
- Lakme Lipgloss - Watermelon
- Lakme Lipgloss - Lotus Mosaic
- Lakme Lipgloss - Ritu Beri D1
- Lakme Starshine Lipgloss - 53
- Lakme Starshine Lipgloss - 64
- Streetwear Lipgloss - Strawberry 47
- Streetwear Double Scoop Lipgloss + Glitter - Coffeelicious
- Colorbar Perfect Gloss - Choco Chip 011
- Colorbar Perfect Gloss - Berry Shine 008
- Maybelline Watershine Liquid Gloss - Caramel Cream 509
- Maybelline Watershine Liquid Diamonds - Chocolate Glitter 12
- Nivea Lipcare - Cherry
- Nivea Lipcare - Strawberry
- Nivea Lipcare Care Gloss & Shine - Pink Shimmer
- Elle 18 Glossy Lipz - Raspberry
- Elle 18 Glossy Lipz - Cherry
- Elle 18 Glossy Lipz - Grape
- Eyetex Dazzler Lipgloss - LG 006
- Revlon Lipliner Pencil - Espresso 13
- Streetwear Lip Definer - Pinkline 03
- Himalaya Lip Balm
- Lotus Lip Therapy (spf 15) - Vanilla
- Lotus Lip Therapy (spf 15) - Cherry
- Lotus Lip Therapy (spf 15) - Velvety Rose
- Lotus Lip Balm - Raspberry
- VLCC Lip Shield (spf 10) - Strawberry
- VLCC Lip Shield (spf 15) - Mint
- VLCC Lip Shield (spf 15) - Choco Butter
- Gargi Moisturizing Lip Balm - Pineapple
- Gargi Moisturizing Lip Balm - Vanilla
- Gargi Moisturizing Lip Balm - Chocolate
- Gargi Moisturizing Lip Balm - Kiwi
- Gargi Moisturizing Lip Balm - Peach
- Elle 18 Stylz Eye Pencil - Brown Black
- Elle 18 Eyeliner (liquid) - Bronze
- Oriflame Visions Dynamic Duo Eyeliner - Jekyll & Hyde 3475
- Oriflame Visions Dynamic Duo Eyeliner - Thelma & Louise 3476
- Streetwear Eye Definer - Brown Currant 04
- Faces Eye Pencil - Charcoal 011
- Lakme Glide on Eye Colour - Smokey Green
- Lakme Glide on Eye Colour - Henna Gold
- Revlon Eyeliner Pencil - Black 11
- Revlon Eyeliner Pencil - Aqua Blue 15
- Revlon Eyeliner Pencil - Green 14
- Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner - Sapphire
- Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner - Dark Brown
- Maybelline Eyestudio Eyeliner - Dark Purple
- Himalaya Herbal Eye-Definer
- Maybelline Define-A-Lash - Diamond Black
- Streetwear SHeer Mascara - Transparent 01
- Maybelline Expertwear Eyeshadow - Chai Latte 22
- Diana of London Classic Ultra Shine Eyeshadow - S 07 & S 08
- Diana of London Classic Ultra Shine Eyeshadow - S 05 & S 06
- Streetwear FX Eyes - Bombshell
- Streetwear FX Eyes - Ivy Green
- Streetwear FX Eyes - Oh My!
- Streetwear FX Eyes - Groovy Baby
- Streetwear FX Eyes - Cutey Petutti
- Streetwear FX Eyes - Spice Girl
- Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush - Soft Plum 40
- Lakme New Pure Radiance Blusher - Terracotta
- Lakme New Pure Radiance Blusher - Rose
- Elle 18 Party Glitter - Bronze
- Lakme Treasures Sparkle Dust - Champagne
- Lakme Tropical Island Face Sheer - Sun Kissed
- Elle 18 Forever Fresh Compact - Wheat
- Lakme Rose Powder - Warm Pink 02
- Colorbar Timeplus Longstay Makeup - Dark Beige 002
- Lakme Face Magic Dailywear Soufflé - Natural Marble